Are you an international candidate that wants to work in Australia or New Zealand?
It's not easy to find the information you need, so we've answered 10 common questions about working in Australia here and working in New Zealand here.
Need help searching for the right job?
Follow these instructions for the best way to search for a job.
Can SEEK find me a job?
Unfortunately we can’t, as we publish job ads from employers but SEEK itself is not a recruiter. However, we'd like to introduce you to our new resource centre dedicated to helping you through the challenges of COVID-19.
Found the job and need help applying?
So, you’ve clicked the job you want to apply for. Next step is to click Apply for this job. You may be asked to sign in or register if you haven't already done so.
Once you’re signed in to SEEK, there are four steps to applying*:
- Choose documents (your resume & cover letter)
- Answer employer questions
- Update SEEK Profile
- Review and submit
*Please note: Some advertisers send you to their company’s website to complete the application. If this occurs, you will no longer be on the SEEK website and the following steps won't apply to you.
Step 1 Choose documents
Select a resume stored on SEEK, or upload a new one, by selecting Upload a resumé. The file can be in the following format (Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx), Adobe PDF (.pdf) or a text file (.txt or .rtf). There is a file size limit of 2MB. You can also choose not to include a resumé.
Need help with your resumé?:
- Have a SEEK Profile, but no resumé? Generate one using these instructions.
- Need a resumé template? We have a free one you can download here.
- No experience? Read this article, which explains what to put on your resumé when you have limited or no experience.
Your cover letter
You can either Upload a cover letter you've previously written, or Write a cover letter. If you select Upload a cover letter the file can be in the following format (Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx), Adobe PDF (.pdf) or a text file (.txt or .rtf). There is a file size limit of 2MB.
If you choose to Write a cover letter, you'll see a text box at the bottom of the Cover letter section, where you can introduce yourself and explain your interest in the job. You can also choose not to include a cover letter.
Need help with your cover letter?:
- Not sure exactly what you should include? Read this article for the low-down on cover letters.
- Need a cover letter template? Download a free one here.
- Check out these great cover letters to get some inspiration.
Step 2 Answer employer questions
Some employers may ask questions to determine if you meet the criteria for the role e.g. What is your right to work in Australia, or New Zealand? Do you have a driver's licence? How many years experience do you have in this role?
They use these questions to shortlist suitable candidates for the role. They are an indicator that you meet the criteria for the role you are applying for.
Step 3 Update SEEK Profile
Your SEEK Profile (which includes your personal summary, career history, education and skills) is sent with your application, so ensure it is up-to-date and includes your career history and qualifications.
Need help with your SEEK Profile?
- What to know how your SEEK Profile looks to employers? Read this article to find out.
- Need help filling out your SEEK Profile? Find tips here.
- If you're struggling with little experience, this article may help.
Step 4 Review and submit
Before you submit your application, check you have attached the right documents and confirm all the information is correct, then submit, and breathe a sigh of relief.
After you’ve applied